Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ribs - "Tasty"

    Yep, ribs were on the menu for class on Thursday,  How to draw them, not how they are best prepared....
   We started by learning that by first picturing, then lightly sketching an egg gives an artist a very close representation of the form of the ribcage. We discussed in-depth the various muscles that make up the abdominal, the way that the fibers of the individual muscles although oriented in different directions, all work together to support and contain our "innards". We then went on to learn the landmarks places to look on the model to determine proper placement of the ribcage in our drawings.
    Speaking of our drawings, I am still having difficulty making any of my drawings resemble anything close to the human form and, as for the 30 second gesture drawings mine kind of appear as an elongated egg (the ribcage) on a curved stick (my representation of a spine).  I'm hoping one of these days I'll step back from the easel and recognize the shape as human.

Spinal Erectors.
Not My Best...
    I am pleased to announce my Manikin "ManFred" is the proud recipent of his first set of muscles.  Here is a picture of ManFred modeling his spinal erector muscle group.  As the weeks of class pass and the updates continue I urge you to stick around, or come back for a visit, as I'm sure ManFred will be more than willing to show off his increasingly muscular form...

1 comment:

  1. I am bummed that I missed the lecture on the rib cage. Your blog helped though! I love your description of your 30 second drawings. I am pretty much in the same boat but mine lean more toward glorified stick person. Can you believe that it is already half way through the semester?? Ugh, I hope I start picking this up fast!

    ReplyDelete