Sunday, October 24, 2010

Shell Shocked

       This was an interesting as well as shocking week for me. 
       On Tuesday the first of our four drawing of our shell was due.  Amy had set certain criteria for our drawings such as There should be an identifiable diagonal axis with one end of the shell further away.  No outline (the outline should be implied by the contour). Every line should change direction at least once denoting a plane change.   The drawing should include the whole shell while maximizing the paper.   Amy also stated the drawing should take 4 to 5 hours stressing the need to draw slowly, tracing each contour as all organic form varies.  
Shell


  Here is the actual shell in the view I drew it,
Shell I
and my rendition of it.







We spent a short time in class on Tuesday doing peer critiques of our group members shell drawing taking note of  how well we/they had adhered to the criteria set.  Some of the comments I received from my group members were "Nice Line variation", "Diagonal axis present but could be developed more", "Proportion of shell spiral not quite right",  "Drawing shows nice sense of space",  "More outlines than needed". 
    Thursdays class we spent some time doing gesture drawings with the model with the proportions of ribcage to pelvis being stressed.  The class then moved into a prolonged pose while Amy took small groups aside for a more detailed critique of our shell drawings.  Amy further stresses the need for a deeper axis,  less outlines, and explained the easiest way to draw concave curves is to "draw like you are drawing the outside of the curve" 
     I agreed with the comments received from both my small group members as well as Amy and recognize there is great room for improvement in my next shell drawing.


8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your shell drawing. Your lines were so delicate and it made the shell seem very fragile and thin. I thought yours was a successful drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm very pleased with the way it came out, much better than I expected...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you used an image for your shell drawing as well, I took a picture for my third drawing and it helped me so much (plus my arm wasn't so tired from holding the shell up). Very good use of line and economy. Also thanks for asking for the extension for drawing number three, I really needed it :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. same! the extension really helped. I thought your shell drawing (the one pictured) was successful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really glad that you posted a picture of the shell, and your drawing. It really helps to see how accurate your shapes and lines are. I might do this for my shell drawings and do a compare and contrast. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your shell really has defined texture on it to help you draw in for the cross contour, that must be nice and helpful. You made it look really easy which is something that I'm sure it wasn't, so congrats. I always struggle with elongating out forms which is something i think happened with the lower half of the shell, but your long axis is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not going to lie, my reasons for liking your shell drawing are somewhat nebulous to me. I mean, sure you handled the line curvature and mapping of the spiral very well, but there's something else here that's escaping me. It might be the exaggeration of the top-most hump's curvature right after that angled edged. I'm not entirely certain, but I can sense a great deal of size going on here. Try to darken up some of the lines to bring that out even more. Nice job, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your shell drawings have definitely improved since your first one. Great job! :) Your line work has gotten really good, I like seeing all the little subtle details. You added enough of them to get the point across.

    ReplyDelete