Sunday, October 31, 2010

Mid-Term Portfolio Reflections

     Well, here it is the end of October, the trees have shed most of their leaves, and kids are dressing in costumes hoping for a full bag of candy.  These facts can only mean one thing the semester is half over and questions are being raised as to what have I learned thus far.
     As this blog is a of Life Drawing I I'll start there.  As one can see from the examples from my MidTerm Portfolio I am having real difficulty grasping the concept of drawing with lines, not outlines.  I have always been more of a "sketcher" than a artist so I find my first instinct is to look at the outline instead of the form.  This will be the main focus of things I expect of myself by the end of the semester.   Another issue that I am having difficulty with is, like others in the class, in trying to complete a finished drawing whenever the model remains still for a "long drawing" session.  This leads to another expectation for myself the final half of the semester which is to slow down in my drawings.    I also need to work on drawing lighter when starting a drawing.  I think that by doing this I will be more able to insure the proportions in my drawing are correct before the marks are already too dark.
Gesture III
Although it still has outlines I think my favorite gesture drawing thus far in the semester has to be "Gesture III"  I think I did a good job of getting the proportions correct, included the ribcage, pelvis,  and long axis of the thigh. 









       I guess, after again looking at my sketch pad in choosing images for my  MidTerm Portfolio ,this time with a more critical eye,  my main expectation for myself for the rest of the semester is to follow directions, always include the ribcage, pelvis, and long axis in my drawing and work/draw slowly.
      
      Thanks for stopping by and I look forward to any comments you care to share,

7 comments:

  1. I think you have come a long way from the beginning of the semester and will probably go that much further before the end. I think it might be easier for you to see the long axis in the model if you start with the spine, or even just outlining the model's back. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked at your midportfolio pieces and also think that you have improved alot since the beginning of the semester, like a lot of us have. I to struggle with not drawing the outline of the figure. This is especially hard when am drawing my shell drawings but find it helps to just keep reminding myself, or to even put reminders on my drawing board. Good job so far, keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job with your first shell, It looks a lot better than mine does. It looks like you were able to control your line quite well and I appreciate that. Your manikin looks nice too. I think the fact that you added a different color for tendons makes it stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the gesture drawing that you have posted, was a strong one for you at the beginning of the semester. I am curious to see what your gesture drawings look like now and how they have changed. This semester I have also had a hard time controlling the speed of my drawing (going from slow to fast or fast to slow), but I think I am finally starting to get the hang of it at the end here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, looking at your mid-term portfolio can't wait to see your final portfolio.

    Have a great break!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can certainly notice a progression in your work since the beginning. I'm sure this is a fairly common trend throughout the class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have definitely progressed since the beginning of the year. I agree with you and Lisa because I found it extremely difficult to slow down on my drawings. I always tend to just speed through a drawing but this class really helped me slow down.

    ReplyDelete